Search This Blog

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Tired of Turkey? Spinach-Bacon Twice Baked Potatoes

Thanksgiving is over and friends and family are gone.  You have had a few sandwiches, a leftover meal or two, and you are sick of turkey for the time being.  What to do.  Make yourself twice baked potato and a steak!

This recipe is loosely based upon this one that I found on Pinterest:


First, I took a nice sized potato and baked at 425 for 50 minutes, turning the potato over in the oven after 25 minutes.  Let cool for about 10 minutes, then cut in half lengthwise and scoop out the potato.  

My first change was to add bacon.  I fried up four strips, then pulled out of the pan to cool and crumble.


In the bacon fat, I then caramelized some diced sweet onion and minced garlic.  


Change #2, fresh spinach and garlic.  Instead of frozen spinach, I then added about 3/4" of a one pound package of fresh spinach, placed the lid on the pan, and cooked until tender and wilted.  


Change #3, incorporation of bacon.  I took my smashed potato and incorporated the spinach mixture along with the crumbled bacon, a grinding of salt (not too much) and pepper (a generous grinding), fresh grated Parmesan cheese, and enough low fat sour cream to make the mixture come together.  


Then then stuffed back into the potato skins and topped with more fresh grated Parmesan cheese.  


Change #4, The potatoes then went on the top rack of my smoker at 350 F for 30 minutes.  I had some hickory chips in the ash pan for some flavor.  While the potatoes were getting happy in the smoker.  While in the smoker, two rib steaks were being cooked to perfect medium. The steaks were plainly seasoned with salt, pepper, and granulated garlic.  


I served the steak and spinach-bacon potatoes with the leftover wilted spinach.  Hope and I loved the potatoes.  This was a nice twist on a traditional twice baked potato.  This is on the repeat list for sure.  

Thanks for stopping by,

Bill

2 comments:

  1. Ms. Goofy loves potatoes and you had me at bacon. I think that would go good with the ribs today on the new WSM.

    ReplyDelete