Search This Blog

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q - Decatur, Al

A few weeks ago, my travels took me to Decatur Alabama.  While I was there, I had the opportunity to have dinner at one of the better BBQ joints in the USA, Chris Lilly's Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q.



I sat down with great anticipation.  The smell of smoked maestros almost too much to take.  I felt like I was at a BBQ competition, minus the rain.  After scanning the menu, and checking out the bottled sauces at my table, I finally settled on the two meat combo platter.  I choose chicken so that I could try out the Alabama White BBQ sauce and the pulled pork, with collards and cole slaw for my sides.



The slaw was pretty good.  I was a bit surprised to see such a fine consistency as I am used to shredded slaw in these parts.  But, the taste was spot on and the perfect balance to the pork.  The greens were outstanding as well, although I have to admit that Black Strap BBQ in Montreal makes a slightly better collard green.

The chicken was tender and moist.  The white sauce only made it that much better.  How was the pork?  Well, when you have won Memphis in May eight times in pork, I expected nothing short of outstanding.  I was not disappointed.  Great flavor, perfect bark, and good plain or when combined with the tangy vinegar based red sauce.

I finished my meal with a slice of the peanut butter pie, completely wrecking my diet.


Flaky crust, peanut butter cream.  Different than other peanut butter pies that I have had, but different in a good way.

Big Bob Gibson's is a monument to Chris's accomplishments with newspaper articles and awards covering the walls.  He even has his Memphis in May trophies up front, just where I would put them.



So, if you are going to be in the Huntsville/Decatur area and are looking for some good BBQ, Big Bob Gibsons is the place to go.

Thanks for stopping by,

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment