Search This Blog

Monday, December 23, 2013

Quench your Holiday Thirst. A Beer for the Season. Part One.

With the holiday season comes a plethora of holiday brews from brewmasters everywhere.  Some are good.  Some are not so good.  Our first review of the season is Harpoon Winter Warmer.


This Harpoon was given to me by a friend who had bought a mixed holiday pack.  I love Harpoon IPA as I like a hoppier brew.  But, when it comes to seasonal holiday brews, they can be to sweet for my palette.  This is not the case with Harpoon Winter Warmer.  As you can see, this beer has a nice, strong head and a deep copper color.  Upon pouring, cinnamon and nutmeg are the dominant aromas.  I was a bit worried.  I was wrong.  While the cinnamon and nutmeg spice are evident, they are balanced by the addition of bittering hops.  This brew starts crisp and finishes smooth and a malty finish that is not cloyingly sweet.  This beer would go well at a party where meats and cheeses are being served.  Unlike other holiday beers, this one can be a session beer, and not an over sweet, one and done palette wrecker.  I would recommend the addition of this beer to your holiday parties.

Thanks for stopping by,

Bill

2 comments:

  1. It is always fun to sample Christmas beers. This one sounds interesting. Cinnamon and Nutmeg just seems a little strange in beer. Anchor Steam releases their Christmas beer right after Thanksgiving. It usually is spiced but some years it is a really strong hoppy brown ale. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was pleasantly surprised Chilebrown. I will not shy away from this brew.

    Merry Christmas to you as well.

    ReplyDelete